Mold is a type of fungus that can grow in damp or humid environments, and exposure to it can cause a range of health problems, collectively known as “mold sickness.” Understanding the symptoms of mold sickness is crucial for identifying and addressing the problem early on.
What is Mold Sickness?
When it comes to identifying a possible mold issue, the most obvious way is by simply looking around your home for black or green patches on walls or floors. If these patches have an odd smell, this could indicate that you have an infestation of either toxic or non-toxic molds. In some cases, visible mold is difficult to detect since it can grow behind wallpaper or drywall and spread through air ducts. If you’re suspicious about dark areas in your home, it’s best to call in a qualified inspector who can give you an accurate assessment of whether there is indeed any hidden mold present in your home or not.
Mold sickness is the term used to describe a variety of symptoms that can occur as a result of exposure to mold. The symptoms can vary depending on the individual, the type of mold, and the length of exposure. Common symptoms include:
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat
- Itchy skin
- Swelling of the face, lips, or throat (in severe cases)
- Memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating
Other symptoms such as joint pain, fever, nausea, and irritability can also occur as a result of mold exposure.
It is important to note that these symptoms can also be caused by other conditions, so it is important to see a doctor if you suspect mold exposure. Your doctor may refer you to an allergist or an infectious disease specialist for further evaluation and treatment.
If you suspect that your home or workplace may have a mold problem, it’s important to have it inspected and professionally remediated as soon as possible. In the meantime, try to limit your exposure to the affected area by keeping the doors and windows open, using an air purifier, and keeping the humidity level low.
In summary, mold sickness can cause a variety of symptoms, including respiratory issues, allergic reactions, neurological symptoms and more. If you suspect that you may have been exposed to mold, it is important to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.